Sandhighat Vata (Osteo-arthritis Care)
Osteo Arthritis is the most common condition, affecting the weight bearing joints (e.g. knees, lower back, hips, etc.), often described as “Wear and Tear Arthritis”.
Major symptoms of the problem are pain in the joints aggravated by strainful activities. It may be accompanied by swelling and clicking sounds on movement of the affected joint. This is because of the sound produced while the bones with damaged articular cartilage rub over each other. The two major changes seen are degeneration of the articular cartilage and reduction in the synovial fluid which acts as a lubricant in the joint.
According to Ayurveda, osteo arthritis (Sandhighat Vata) is a Vata disorder in which excessive Vata energy causes dryness in the joints followed by Pain, Swelling Immobility and Stiffness of the affected joints.
Causes of the Osteoarthritis:
1. Aging: Due to hardening of arteries, bones cannot get the proper nutrition, which is most important for the joints to maintain their laxity.
2. Poor metabolism of the Calcium in the body.
3. Over-weight and obesity, causing extra load on the weight bearing joints.
4. Some disease conditions like Diabetes, Hypo and Hyper thyroidism, Obesity and Trauma can also cause Osteo Arthritis.
Osteoarthritis is characterized by the following symptoms:
• Joint pain
• Joint stiffness
• Joint tenderness
• Limited range-of-motion
• Crepitus (crackling, grinding noise with movement)
• Joint effusion (swelling)
• Local inflammation